The monitoring report on the physical standards of Tirana kindergartens was in the framework of the project "Moving for my kindergarten", implemented by Together for Life organization. The study was focused on 43 public kindergartens of Tirana. This project was initiated based on the urgent needs of Tirana's citizens for more kindergartens and to improve the living standards quality in the existing ones.
The monitoring carried out by the organization "Together for Life" is based on the "Kindergarten Design Standards”, compiled by the Ministry of Urban Development, and based on the current operation standards of National Inspectorate of Pre-University Education . The project is supported by LevizAlbania. This report is written for the first time by civil society and is submitted to the responsible institutions . Together For Life will advocate even this year for the implementation of kindergartens' standards.
The study is designed in three phases:
At the first phase, physical monitoring of Tirana kindergartens, from which conclusions and recommendations are drawn up aiming at situation improvement
The second phase of the study, follows with the survey addressed to the 1320 parents of the children, which attend the kindergartens.
This stage crosses the information gathered by independent observers in the first phase, and physical monitoring with parents' perceptions, as one of the most important group of interest.
The third phase consists in the organization of four community forums. In other words, this phase is a juxtaposition of two first phases facts, with the following interested stakeholders, such as: executives of the monitored kindergartens, representatives of the City Council, parents, civil society represented by the moderators of these community forums, "Together for Life" organisation and "LevizAlbania" organization
The main findings
- In 89% of the monitored kindergartens (24 of them part of initiative "Adopt a kindergarten" ), from which accurate and complete information was obtained, the number of children per group, is over the rate and the standards defined;
- 24% of Tirana's kindergartens (9 of them part of initiative "Adopt a kindergarten") have only one heating system for maintaining constant temperature in their premises;
- 86% of kindergartens don't have access for children with disabilities;
- 60% of monitored kindergartens don’t have revelant spaces for stroller;
- 97.6% of kindergartens (24 of them part of initiative "Adopt a kindergarten") don't have generators to provide alternative lighting;
- 92.7% of Tirana's kindergartens (23 of them part of initiative "Adopt a kindergarten") don't have emergency exit and 73.2% of kindergartens (19 of them part of initiative "Adopt a kindergarten") have no signage to guide towards emergency exit;
- 92.7% of kindergartens (23 of them part of initiative "Adopt a kindergarten") have not doors opening "Inside - Out" direction, making the evacuation difficult during the emergencies of the fire situation;